Betfred Sport

The magic of the Cup returns - and Bromley go marching on

We are still only in October, but amidst the importance of sustaining a decent start to their league campaigns, Margate and Bromley found the time to throw up an FA Cup cracker to delight a crowd of 500 at Margate’s Hartsdown Park.

With Wembley still over 10 rounds away, Margate began the brightest and shocked their Blue Square Bet South counterparts by taking a lead inside the first minute.

Gates' top marksman Kwesi Appiah (pictured) gave the Ryman Premier side the perfect start, adding to his five goals in the previous round in the replay win over Thamesmead Town.

The shell-shocked Lilywhites were unable to resist the constant threat of the powerful Appiah, and with 20 minutes on the clock the striker added his second from a corner to double the host’s advantage.

Joy soon turned to apprehension for the Margate supporter’s as the impressive Appiah was withdrawn after picking up an injury soon after doubling his tally. Could the ill-timed injury be the turning point for Bromley?

Attacking threat

Judging on first half viewing, you could be forgiven for not knowing which side where in the higher division. Bromley manager Mark Goldberg reacted swiftly to his side’s dismal first half performance by bringing on Warren McBean to give his side a much needed attacking threat.

With just over 20 minutes remaining, McBean granted his manager’s wish by pulling a goal back to set up a grandstand finish.

The striker was given too much time before slotting a right foot shot passed Simon Overland. With questions still being asked in the Margate defence, McBean grabbed a second from a superb right wing cross by Marlon Patterson, to turn the game on its head.

Within the space of 90 seconds, Bromley had escaped from the jaws of defeat and were now the team in the ascendancy. The predictable third goal arrived for the Lilywhites in controversial fashion.

Former Bromley defender, Mark Corneille was deemed to have fouled Aaron Rhule inside the penalty area, but the initial contact appeared to be outside. Nonetheless, the referee awarded the penalty and Danny Waldren stepped up and confidently sent Bromley through to the next round.


The harsh reality of the FA Cup had left its mark on proceedings; Margate will feel mightily aggrieved that they will not be included in the Fourth qualifying round draw.

Gate boss Chris Kinnear was rightly disappointed but praised his side’s first half display. “The way we played first half, I thought we absolutely run them ragged," he said. "We played some good stuff. We’ve let in a stupid first goal and their heads went up and they had nothing to lose.”

Kinnear also expressed his displeasure at not being awarded a penalty soon after conceding one. “I can’t tell you whether it was or not and then we get a chance up the other end for a penalty and it’s not given.”

There may be no Football League clubs in the FA Cup yet, but once again the FA Cup has whetted our appetites for more as the competition progress one step further.  

By Daniel Ludlam

< Back to FA Cup